• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Question Beginner Shortcut `Super + L` to lock screen does not work.

gervais.b

Aug 13, 2019
Hi there.

I installed a fresh Pop Os 19.04/disco and very happy with it. However, while the keyboard shortcut `Super + L` is defined and redefined to "Lock screen", it has no effect. All the other shortcuts with `Super` are working without any issue.
I tried `loginctl lock-sessions` or `loginctl lock-session <n>` nut none of them has any effect.
The sad thing is that there is a "lock screen" app form the launcher that works great. But I cannot find his location on my system to assign the shortcut on that command.

I am using sddm as my display manager, I suspect that to be the cause but do not have any clue on how to diagnose and solve that annoying issue.

Any suggestions ?
Thanks

gervais.b

Aug 13, 2019
I read it. But except "Enable Cinnamon Lock Screen" I did not find anything that seems related to my issue.
And the proposed solution does not work :
Code:
$ gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.lockdown disable-lock-screen false
No such schema “org.cinnamon.desktop.lockdown”

justXuX

Mar 29, 2019
Moldova
Install python-xapp : sudo apt install python-xapp
If it still didn't work try:gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.lockdown disable-lock-screen true
If not working then try this: gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.lockdown disable-lock-screen false

gervais.b

Aug 13, 2019
Thanks four your response. However none of them give the expected result.

+ Change the shortcut to `Ctrl + Alt + L` -> No effects. Nothing seems to happend when I press those keys, same as with the default shortcut.
+ Installed python-xapp, while don't knowing why -> No effects.
+ Gssetings -> “No such schema "org.cinnamon.desktop.lockdown”"

Also, I just discovered that while the "Screen Lock" settings are all enabled, there is no effect, my screen is never locked automatically:
+ Automatic Screen Lock: ON
+ Lock screen after blank for: Screen Turns Off
+ Lock Screen in Suspend: ON
+ Show Notifications: OFF

Last edited:

gervais.b

Aug 13, 2019
This was too annoying, more than having the ugly[1] login screen and his damned curtain[2]. So I removed sddm and get back to gdm.

[1] and [2], personal opinion.

justXuX

Mar 29, 2019
Moldova
If all you do is looking into Login Screen, you either are forgetting your password often, you're a hacker, you have paranoia, you like SDDM, you have spare time and don't mind breaking your setup :geek: .
I like a functional, productive and with good desktop defaults Linux based OS. That's why I use Pop_Os
If I want to tweak and play with my system I could use Arch Linux or Gentoo.
I use this particular system because it stays out of the way and let me work and use my PC. 🧘‍♂️

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shroomster