• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

[SOLVED] Pop os crashes, and every time I log back on I have updates

Ahsto

Nov 25, 2020
What should I do about Pipewire? A google search showed that it has something to do with audio/video.

Also, I'm not sure there's anything I can do about Discord short of abandoning the app and using the website version instead, right?

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
What should I do about Pipewire? A google search showed that it has something to do with audio/video.
If you didn't install it, it probably came in a Flatpak, in which case it should be fine.

Also, I'm not sure there's anything I can do about Discord short of abandoning the app and using the website version instead, right?
Discord has been buggy lately, but I don't think it's been crashing systems.
However, I've seen many electron apps behave badly, consume massive amounts of memory, and crash systems.

Ahsto

Nov 25, 2020
It certainly could be. Can you borrow a different webcam for a night?
Unfortunately not. I only have the one. I'm just leaving it unplugged for now so the diagnosis can be simplified.

I just had another crash. It was kinda nice because it only happened once over a longer period of time, but I'm still upset it happened again. Here is journalctl -b -1 | tail -50. I see it keeps whining about Discord, but the crashes don't happen immediately when Discord is open. Discord can be open for 24 hours and still no crashes. So it might not be that. I'm starting to think that the webcam is pointing out some error in my audio/video drivers or something relating to ALSA. Any ideas? :c

I should also add that I got rid of typora and started using MarkText (awesome program by the way!).

One last thing, I went to check on my updates and found that there was an update available for gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons-ng. Are the crashes possibly related to something with gnome-shell-extension?

Last edited:

Ahsto

Nov 25, 2020
Okay it crashed yet again!

I decided to make journalctl -b -1 | tail -200. This time there was nothing to download in the packet updates. After it crashed again, I uninstalled the Discord flatpak, so hopefully if that's the issue then it won't be for long. I should also note that for this crash the webcam was unplugged the whole time.

SteveM

Aug 24, 2019
Beaverton, OR
I wouldn't be surprised if you have failing hardware. Many years ago I read that Windows or Linux was more tolerant to flaky hardware, but I don't remember the conclusions and they probably wouldn't be relevant today anyways. The point is that you might have a bad memory module or hdd/sdd that on Windows was causing solitaire to crash every so often, but on Linux the bad hardware locations are being used by Linux.

Top suspect #1 is bad RAM so boot up using memtest86 ad let it run for a few cycles.
Second suspect is a bad drive. Check the SMART report and if possible try a replacement drive or run from a live CD for a day or two to see if it still crashes.
After that I guess would be the motherboard and that's not so easy to check unless you can find the exact same one to borrow to test on.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
apt_pkg.Error: E:can not open /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_groovy-security_InRelease - fopen.
I'm told this means something is wrong with the file system or disk. File system, meaning the format used to partition. Or the disk is failing.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Having a another look at those crash reports, I see gnome-shell crashed while sleeping long before pop-transition failed to open a file. I'm wondering if you're one of the people who would benefit from using hibernate instead of suspend or sleep. There's four versions in that post, so ensure you choose the right method for your set up.

Ahsto

Nov 25, 2020
apt_pkg.Error: E:can not open /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_groovy-security_InRelease - fopen.
I'm told this means something is wrong with the file system or disk. File system, meaning the format used to partition. Or the disk is failing.
I ran SMART tests for both drives and both came without error: my HDD and my SSD, though I have heard that sometimes even if they pass the SMART test that doesn't mean that they're healthy. I've owned both for about 7 years now. I think the SSD is SATA, not M.2.

I recently switched over to a KDE DE instead of gnome and the number of crashes may have gone down a bit. But, again, whilst downloading a game from steam my computer froze up again, so there's still something going wrong.

journalctl -b -1 | tail -200

Would I be better off just assuming that the drives have gone bad and to buy new ones? It would cost a fair bit and I can't find any information saying they are corrupted, but I don't know.

Ahsto

Nov 25, 2020
It's been five days and I still haven't gotten a response. Can anyone tell me if it would be worth my money to switch my OS to a new hard drive to avoid potential crashes?

VentGrey

Dec 7, 2020
Guanajuato, México
upvent.codes
It seems that his /var/lib/apt/lists//var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_groovy-security_InRelease got corrupted or the `fopen` call in apt can't read or parse the file. Since those files are mostly PGP signed messages and package lists with a format similar to debian/control files (See attachment for more info).

1607752373390.png

Probably the /var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_groovy-security_InRelease got corrupted or simply miswritten. It should be safe to remove it and try apt update to redownload the lists PGP and control signatures.

It should work if you remove the faulty file, if you want a more savage solution you can always try
sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/*
as these files get modified with each apt update operation.

Ahsto

Nov 25, 2020
I solved my problem by swiching over to Manjaro KDE Plasma. No more crashes. I'm definitely not thrilled at all the people here who immediately jumped towards hardware issues instead of considering faulty software instead :/

SteveM

Aug 24, 2019
Beaverton, OR
Well, it is not all that often that Linux has a software fault that locks up the system. We still can't say for sure that it was software, but I am happy that you found a workable Linux distro as that is what is most important in my opinion.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
... at all the people here who immediately jumped towards hardware issues...
I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

Anyway, what can be said, and has always been true, is, that not all hardware plays nice with Linux. Not all systems like playing nice with GNOME. Old machines don't like modern OS, etc, etc. Your proprietary hardware has been created to run with proprietary OS. Some people modify the product to such an extent it no longer resembles the default. Some people use purpose-made software for things it's not meant for and complain when things break. So there's a lot of moving parts - If you read back through this thread, I definitely attempted to help you identify the moving parts that needed fixing.

I am genuinely happy that you have a working system, but I wouldn't rule anything out yet. We've seen plenty of people come back from Manjaro, and KDE only to say the crash still happens. Manjaro has it's own stability issues, and KDE is subject to it's own memory leak and crashes. Just saying.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eddiecsilva