• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Sometimes get a black screen before login on booting

gmcamposano

Feb 6, 2021
I have noticed that randomly, on one of power ups of the computer, the screen goes black, the external monitor goes to the mode where there is no information being sent (like its disconnected). The only thing that solves it is me pressing the power key for a few seconds and turning back on the computer. That solves the issue.
But why I am getting these black screens. I have noticed googling that other people get it too, but no one has a definitive fix. Does anyone here suffer from those? How can I fix this?

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Look at your logs and see if there's any obvious errors you can search for. First try journalctl -b 0. This will give you logs since boot. Or journalctl -b -1 will show the log of the previous boot. if there's too much output, pipe it to less and scroll down with arrow or page down.

You can also try journalctl -xb -1 | less. The x option showing kernel messages similar to dmesg. You could look at the dmesg logs from last session in /var/log/.

Reactions: gmcamposano

gmcamposano

Feb 6, 2021
Sorry for this newbie question but... what should i look for? There are so many lines which i cannot figure out which ones are errors and which aren't. I guess the ones in red are the errors right?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ducky