• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Start up apps

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Maybe he meant which one will not cause him trouble
Exactly. If something you want to do is dependent on any of those, it will cause you trouble. Without further clarification which includes "How you use the system", it would be a crap-shoot making any suggestions. Someone who knows the system, and knows how they use the system, isn't going to ask that question.

All of those are important. The System76 devs have stripped the bloat out of Ubuntu and left only those things that will ensure a stable environment for most users. However, having used Pop since 17.10, I know exactly how I want to use Pop. More importantly, I know how the system basically works, so I know with certainty which of those I can disable without disrupting my desktop experience. However, my use case will differ from yours. There are some things there that I know I'll never use, but if I told someone else to disable those things, I'm almost certain they'll be asking why (<something>) isn't working. For example, I could get away with disabling the Pop-Shop related ones because I rarely use it, and wouldn't ever have to. Being familiar with working the package manager directly in command line, I can totally avoid using the GUI shop, but most new users can't yet.

Same could be said of the wacom tablet and some of the GNOME plug-ins. If you know how to work with things directly on command line when you need it, you could turn off some of those things. Until then, all you're doing is reducing Pop's functionality and potentially breaking things that you don't know how to fix, because you don't know the system.

To clarify and reiterate, if you need to ask the question "which of those can be disabled", a better, more responsible answer would be to suggest getting to know the system and your normal usage. It's only then that you would know which of those that you could disable without hampering functionality. I feel it would be irresponsible of me to suggest someone else disable any of those without further information about the individual's habits, Linux experience, regular programs and expectations from them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vadbars