• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Guide Steam for Linux. Proton/Steam Play

Knoxtane

Jun 24, 2019
Fort Pierce, Florida
Decided to *steal this official guide from Steam, just in case we get users like me who want to learn/know how easy it is to play Games on Linux via Steam.

**PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THIS ARTICLE WAS PUBLISHED AUGUST 21ST, 2018

In 2010, we announced Steam Play: a way for Steam users to access Windows, Mac and Linux versions of Steam games with a single purchase. More than 3000 of the games that have been added to Steam after that point have included Linux support, with more titles being added every day. Since then, we've continued to look for ways to make more titles easily accessible to Linux users.

So, two years ago, we started an effort to improve the quality and performance of Windows compatibility solutions for Steam games. A lot of our work has been in the form of supporting Wine[www.winehq.org] and other existing compatibility projects. We have also been integrating these tools into the Steam client to provide the same simple plug-and-play experience offered by regular Linux games.

Our goal for this work is to let Linux Steam users enjoy easy access to a larger back catalog. We think it will also allow future developers to easily leverage their work from other platforms to target Linux. This would give them the option of focusing on areas that would make a meaningful experience difference for all users instead, such as supporting Vulkan[www.khronos.org].

As a result of this work, today we are releasing the Beta of a new and improved version of Steam Play to all Linux users! It includes a modified distribution of Wine, called Proton, to provide compatibility with Windows game titles. Here are some of the improvements it brings to the table:

• Windows games with no Linux version currently available can now be installed and run directly from the Linux Steam client, complete with native Steamworks and OpenVR support.
  • DirectX 11 and 12 implementations are now based on Vulkan, resulting in improved game compatibility and reduced performance impact.
  • Fullscreen support has been improved: fullscreen games will be seamlessly stretched to the desired display without interfering with the native monitor resolution or requiring the use of a virtual desktop.
  • Improved game controller support: games will automatically recognize all controllers supported by Steam. Expect more out-of-the-box controller compatibility than even the original version of the game.
  • Performance for multi-threaded games has been greatly improved compared to vanilla Wine.

This goes hand-in-hand with an ongoing testing effort of the entire Steam catalog, in order to identify games that currently work great in this compatibility environment, and find and address issues for the ones that don't. The initial set of supported games that we are enabling with this initial Beta release is as follows:

We will be enabling more titles in the near future as testing results and development efforts progress; in the meantime, enthusiast users are also able to try playing non-whitelisted games using an override switch in the Steam client. Going forward, users can vote for their favorite games to be considered for Steam Play using platform wishlisting.

Steam Play whitelisted games will not be offered for purchase or marked as supported on Linux on the Store during the initial Beta period.

Proton, the tool that Steam Play uses to provide Windows compatibility, contains a custom version of Wine as well as additional libraries developed alongside it. It's fully open-source and available right now on GitHub[github.com]!

If you're familiar with building open source projects, you can even make your own local builds of Proton; the Steam client has support for using those to run games in lieu of the built-in version. Join the discussion in the issue tracker and share your patches and testing results with the rest of the community!

Q: What do I need to get started?

Not much; here's what to keep in mind:
Q: What is Proton exactly? How does it differ from normal Wine? Who worked on it?

Proton is a tool distribution based on a modified version of Wine. The included improvements to Wine have been designed and funded by Valve, in a joint development effort with CodeWeavers. Here are some examples of what we've been working on together since 2016:
  • vkd3d[source.winehq.org], the Direct3D 12 implementation based on Vulkan
  • The OpenVR and Steamworks native API bridges
  • Many wined3d performance and functionality fixes for Direct3D 9 and Direct3D 11
  • Overhauled fullscreen and gamepad support
  • The "esync[github.com]" patchset, for multi-threaded performance improvements
Modifications to Wine are submitted upstream if they're compatible with the goals and requirements of the larger Wine project; as a result, Wine users have been benefiting from parts of this work for over a year now. The rest is available as part of our source code repository for Proton and its modules.

In addition to that, we've been supporting the development of DXVK[github.com], the Direct3D 11 implementation based on Vulkan; the nature of this support includes:
  • Employing the DXVK developer in our open-source graphics group since February 2018
  • Providing direct support from our open-source graphics group to fix Mesa driver issues affecting DXVK, and provide prototype implementations of brand new Vulkan features to improve DXVK functionality
  • Working with our partners over at Khronos, NVIDIA, Intel and AMD to coordinate Vulkan feature and driver support
Q: What is the performance like?

A performance difference is to be expected for games where graphics API translation is required, but there is no fundamental reason for a Vulkan title to run any slower.

Q: Are there any games that will never work with Proton?

It's likely that some games using complex DRM or anti-cheat systems will be difficult, or even impossible to support.

Q: When will additional game titles marked as compatible with the new Steam Play?

We'll whitelist new batches of games as testing progresses, with no set cadence. New games will be added to the system without requiring a Steam Client update.

Q: Can I try a game with Proton even if it's not marked as compatible?

Yes; head to the Steam Play options of your Steam Client and you'll be able to enable it for all games.

Q: Any plans for macOS support?

While Wine and Proton work on macOS, there are no plans to support the new Steam Play functionality on macOS at the moment.

Q: I'm a developer; if my game is already supporting Linux, does this change anything?

Probably not; if you've already ported your common code or are using an engine that supports Linux, keep doing what you're doing, you're good to go.

Q: I'm a developer; I wasn't planning on targeting Linux, how can I best leverage the new Steam Play?

We recommend you target Vulkan natively in order to offer the best possible performance on all platforms, or at least offer it as an option if possible. It's also a good idea to avoid any invasive third-party DRM middleware, as they sometimes prevent compatibility features from working as intended.

Q: I'm a developer; my game got whitelisted in Steam Play; does this mean I have to support an additional platform?

No; if a game was whitelisted as a result of our testing, we've assessed the experience to be identical (save for an expected moderate performance impact). Users playing through Steam Play experiencing Linux-specific issues should be directed to Steam for support. Keep in mind users were most likely already playing your game using Wine; you just have better visibility into it now.

----

If you have any questions that aren't answered above, head to the Steam Community and get a conversation started!

Knoxtane

Jun 24, 2019
Fort Pierce, Florida
Hello all! It's been a long time since I've been active on this site. (too long!) Well since this article was posted..the games that are supported by Proton has quite literally tripled. Back then only about 2,000 games were supported, now that list is over 11,000. More specifically 11,681 games work with Proton a.k.a Steam Play.

Now, I'm not going to be adding much to this guide as it's still pretty straight forward. However, if you haven't heard of an amazing website protondb then you should seriously check it out.
The goal of ProtonDB is to gather reports from other gamers as they test games with Proton on Linux and provide aggregate scores of how well games perform. A growing pool of suggestions provides tweaks that you can try to get games working while Proton continues development. In addition to this, you may explore the Steam game catalog on this site to browse and discover a wide range of titles that were previously unavailable for use on Linux.
Screenshot from 2020-09-14 17-31-10.png

Now one of the coolest features ProtonDB adds is the ability to log into their site via steam and check to see what games YOU OWN are compatible and playable while using Proton. When you click "explore" you can choose which games you want to see, if you want to see games included in your library simply click "Library". Now, this will show you by default games based on how many hours you have played via STEAM not proton or steam play. now if you want to see ALL games you have that are both native and non-native and their protondb rating simply click "Library" and "Include Native".

This will be your new view once you've clicked "Library" and "Include Native"

Screenshot from 2020-09-14 17-41-08.png

Now if you are thinking about purchasing a game that you aren't sure works with Proton (Steam Play), you can simply come to protonDB and search the game you are looking for to see it's rating.

Example:

I searched Destiny 2. Unfortunately it's BORKED, meaning it won't work..no matter how many tweaks or command lines you insert.

Screenshot from 2020-09-14 17-42-50.png

So, get to searching and purchasing!

Conclusion:
ProtonDB is a very helpful tool that allows any Linux user to see which games are playable based on a rating. BORKED, BRONZE, SILVER, GOLD, PLATINUM and NATIVE.

kira

Sep 4, 2020
However, if you haven't heard of an amazing website protondb then you should seriously check it out.
Of course, every single linux gamer heard of, minus one 😉 .. because he's not
When I heard the announcement, I searched steam store and found one of my favorite games but I was disappointed.. the second disappointment was Watch_Dogs 2 😵 , and only after that I heard about protondb in steam-discussions.
Nevertheless, I didn't give up on Linux because it became my new Homeworld

Reactions: Knoxtane

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Will Bee