• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Stuck on integrated graphics "llvm pipe"/"Unknown display" issue

OlMan6Paths

Feb 6, 2021
Hi all, hope everyone is well. I switched to linux and Pop! OS a couple of weeks ago and I have run into this issue that I can't seem to find a solution for. Under display settings I can only see (and use) a single "Unknown Display" even though I have 2 monitors connected. The graphics adapter is listed as "llvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.0, 256 bits)" instead of my 5700XT. This has been accompanied by poor video playback/general graphics performance quality.

Previously this was all working great, the issue popped up after I tried to add some variables to my path and configure Grub. Somehow this seemed to remove my home bin folder from my default path, which apparently caused me to be stuck in a login loop. I rolled back all my changes in terminal and was able to log back in, but with the issue described above. It seems like a driver issue to me, so I re-installed the amdgpu drivers I had installed but no dice. "System76 power" says graphics aren't switchable, only the integrated graphics option is listed.

I have scoured the internet and haven't found any fixes that worked. So I post my quandary here. Any advice on how to continue troubleshooting is greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

I'm running:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700
AMD Radeon 5700XT
Pop! OS 20.10

Attached some screenshots of settings and terminal output.

Attachments

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Do you have a legacy or UEFI installation?

If you don't know, run the following;

[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "Installed in UEFI mode" || echo "Installed in Legacy mode"

If you have a UEFI installation, Pop uses systemd boot and kernelstub instead of the outdated GRUB.

OlMan6Paths

Feb 6, 2021
Hey, thanks for responding! Its a UEFI installation. Do you think the GRUB install is causing the issue?

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
If you've managed to install and change things with GRUB, sure. I'm not saying that it's that for sure, but it makes sense. It was working before and you tried to pass parameters using a conflicting method.

What variables did you pass?

OlMan6Paths

Feb 6, 2021
I looked through my command history, and essentially I was trying to add two directories to path.

Following a guide I added this line to the bashrc.profile file. Or the file name was something close to that:

echo export PATH="$PATH: /usr/share/android-studio/bin" >> ~/.profile

And I added this line to the bash.bashrc file:

export PATH="$PATH:/home/cjpye/snap/flutter/common/flutter/bin"

Shortly after this, any time I tried to run a command in terminal I got an error saying "Sudo" was only available in "/bin:/usr/bin" which was super weird. Confused, I also added this line to bash.bashrc:

export PATH="$PATH: /bin:/usr/bin"

After that is when I hit the login loop. To fix that I tried to re-install gdm3, and then even swapped it with lightdm. Then I found system76's article on fixing log in loops and tried those steps:

moving potentially bad config files in home directory out of the way:

mv ~/.config ~/.config.old
mv ~/.local ~/.local.old
mv ~/.cache ~/.cache.old
mv ~/.nividia-settings-rc ~/.nvidia-settings-rc.old
mv ~/.nvidia-settings-rc ~/.nvidia-settings-rc.old

mv ~/.nv ~/.nv.old

Blacklisting Radeon driver that evidently is problematic:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
sudo update-initramfs -c -k all

And as far as grub goes I edited this grub file and changed one of the variables, I can't remember which. But I changed it from "quiet splash" to "nomodeset", and also tried leaving it as "":

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

However, I undid all of those changes, which is what fixed the login loop. Once logging back in though I had the current graphics issue. Another note is that the BIOS isn't even using grub, it using using the default boot loader. I tried to boot with grub by selecting it from the BIOS boot menu and it can't find the grub.cfg file it needs to boot without me manually pointing it there in the limited grub terminal. I don't need grub, I was just trying to configure a boot menu with a 10 second hold time to pick which OS I want to boot into instead of mashing F11 lol.

OlMan6Paths

Feb 6, 2021
Update for anyone who might run into this issue themselves: the "amdgpu" kernel module was blacklisted, and therefore not loading on boot. Removing the "blacklist-amdgpu.conf" from the etc/modprobe.d directory did the trick for me. Cheers!

• Useful
Reactions: derpOmattic

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpian555