• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Suggestion: Auto performance switch option on plug/unplug (laptops)

erdnuesse

Apr 27, 2019
It would be a great feature for everyone concerned about battery life on laptops

Example:
Option: auto switch profiles on battery plug/unplug (yes/no) (main switch)
Profile on battery: <choose> me: battery life
Profile on power supply: <choose> me: balanced or performance

Would save headaches when you forget to switch and run out of power when you need it.
I prefer built-in options rather than scripting my own solutions on the plug/unplug event -
also better for new users.

Regards,
K

Reactions: ParanoidNemo

erdnuesse

Apr 27, 2019
I also think it could be a decider for non tech-savy users with semi/older laptops who want to get the best of their devices instead of throwing them out. (Like all underpowered subnotebooks with like 2GB of RAM, running Windows 10 after a forced upgrade and the last october patching...)
Battery life is key for those, and would be a huge prestige boost in that use case, I think.

erdnuesse

Apr 27, 2019
Thank you for the update, good sir.
This is awesome news and I bow myself before the development team.
<may be closed as soon as approved - released>

richmatt

Nov 10, 2019
Hmm.. I don't think it's been implemented yet..

I have 2 questions:

(1) Is there a way to automatically switch power profiles (On Battery / On Charger)
(2) as well as remember previous session's performance profile (Performance/Balanced/Battery)?

I don't have many gripes at all with this distro! (barring this one and I can only get KDE to work installing kubuntu and not kde-plasma-desktop - but i'll use Gnome again for now)

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcin