• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Switch installation from Laptop to Desktop; randomly goes into airplane mode.

pnelego

Nov 21, 2020
Boise, ID
Hey all!

So I built a new computer; I didn't feel like migrating all of my files, settings, and installed libraries. So instead of reinstalling, i pulled the m.2 drive out of my laptop and installed it in my new tower. Everything migrated over and worked perfectly, besides one thing, and this is where I need some help. My desktop computer randomly enters airplane mode on the migrated Pop-OS install. From how I see it, there could be two different issues:

1.) Some config in Pop-OS needs to be transitioned over.
2.) The USB Wi-Fi adapter I bought is power cycling completely intermittently.

A little more info on my Wi-Fi adapter. After some research, I learned my WiFi card, (NetGear A6210), has been recently added and supported by the kernel. After cross-checking my current Pop-OS kernel version, in theory, it should be fully supported (right?).

The loss of connection (activation of airplane mode?) is completely intermittent, with absolutely no consistency. Sometimes its an hour before dropping connection, sometimes its 2 days.

Any help with this would be appreciated!

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I'll have a bit of a look around, but I remember having trouble with "Connectivity Checking" in Settings > Privacy > Connectivity. I toggled it off on my laptop to fix an issue way back. I think it may be kernel related though. We've seen a bit of WiFi trouble with the upgrade.

pnelego

Nov 21, 2020
Boise, ID
Thanks for the quick reply! :)

I'll try turning it off and see if i have any issues throughout the day today, I'll keep you posted. There is a driver on Github, that i might try. However, it doesn't appear to be maintained anymore, probably because the kernel has a driver for it.

Thanks for your help and ill keep you updated :)

pnelego

Nov 21, 2020
Boise, ID
So update: I'm still having intermittent connection drops, however, i did notice it is load dependent. Discord calls seem to trigger it after about 20 min, load dependent problems usually indicate a thermal issue, however the wireless dongle doesn't seem to be getting warm at all...

I'm considering throwing in the towel with this dongle because its really not performing optimally for my workload. Do you know of any good AC wireless dongles or cards that have seamless Linux integration (specially with 5.8.0-763X and up)

Thanks for your help!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donaldbuind