• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

System Freezing, then crashing and crashing boot

vitorhpmelo

Feb 4, 2021
Hello,

I installed a new ssd m.2 in my notebook, and made a dual boot with windows on it. But now when I open some tasks the Pop OS Freezes and I have to reboot, when i do the boot partition is crashed, i ran the "sudo dmesg | grep -i error" command, the errors that appeard was:
[ 0.487301] pcieport 0000:00:1d.0: DPC: error containment capabilities: Int Msg #0, RPExt+ PoisonedTLP+ SwTrigger+ RP PIO Log 4, DL_ActiveErr+
[ 0.487645] pcieport 0000:00:1d.5: DPC: error containment capabilities: Int Msg #0, RPExt+ PoisonedTLP+ SwTrigger+ RP PIO Log 4, DL_ActiveErr+
[ 0.865861] RAS: Correctable Errors collector initialized.
[ 4.074143] EXT4-fs (nvme0n1p6): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro
[ 4.388572] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Direct firmware load for iwl-debug-yoyo.bin failed with error -2
[ 4.402056] EXT4-fs (nvme0n1p7): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: errors=remount-ro

Anybody knows what could have been?

vitorhpmelo

Feb 4, 2021
How did you dual boot Pop and Windows? Which method?
I've just installed Windows, partitionated the disk, and made a custom installation of Pop Os, with this partitions:

700Mb for /boot
8Gb for /swap
80Gb for the /
100Gb for the /home

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
[ 0.487301] pcieport 0000:00:1d.0: DPC: error containment capabilities: Int Msg #0, RPExt+ Log 4, DL_ActiveErr+
A little research suggests it is just an error in a PCI bus.

[ 4.388572] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Direct firmware load for iwl-debug-yoyo.bin failed with error -2
It's a known harmless bug in iwl (wifi package) and not relevant to the hard drive.

I think the first thing you should do is run fsck on the drive.

P.S. Regarding the post on Ask Ubuntu - Ubuntu don't like, and don't want to deal with Pop OS questions.

vitorhpmelo

Feb 4, 2021
A little research suggests it is just an error in a PCI bus.

It's a known harmless bug in iwl (wifi package) and not relevant to the hard drive.

I think the first thing you should do is run fsck on the drive.

P.S. Regarding the post on Ask Ubuntu - Ubuntu don't like, and don't want to deal with Pop OS questions.
Bash:
Thanks, just deleted the question! I ran the fsck in the whole disk and in the /home and the root partitions here is the log message

fsck from util-linux 2.34

e2fsck 1.45.5 (07-Jan-2020)

Warning!  /dev/nvme0n1 is in use.

ext2fs_open2: Bad magic number in super-block

fsck.ext2: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...

fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/nvme0n1

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a valid ext2/ext3/ext4

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2/ext3/ext4

filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock

is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:

e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

or

e2fsck -b 32768 <device>

Found a gpt partition table in /dev/nvme0n1

Bash:
pop-os@pop-os:/$ sudo fsck -a /dev/nvme0n1p6

/dev/nvme0n1p6: clean, 1119902/5767168 files, 10096534/23068416 blocks
Bash:
pop-os@pop-os:/$ sudo fsck -a /dev/nvme0n1p7
/dev/nvme0n1p7: clean, 124609/11001856 files, 12627213/43991808 blocks

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
What does your whole partition table look like?

lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,FSSIZE,MOUNTPOINT

Also, just ticking the boxes, have you got fast startup disabled in Windows?

vitorhpmelo

Feb 4, 2021
What does your whole partition table look like?

lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,FSSIZE,MOUNTPOINT

Also, just ticking the boxes, have you got fast startup disabled in Windows?
Yes, the fast-boot are disabled, my partition table looks like this:

NAME FSTYPE FSSIZE MOUNTPOINT
sda
└─sda1
nvme0n1
├─nvme0n1p1 vfat
├─nvme0n1p2
├─nvme0n1p3 ntfs
├─nvme0n1p4 vfat 698.6M /boot/efi
├─nvme0n1p6 ext4 86.1G /
└─nvme0n1p7 ext4 164.2G /home

In one of the many crashes I had, I excluded the swap partition thinking that it was causing the problem

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Let me check some more, but you have a file system problem, namely, the magic number is bad for some reason. Your lsblk looks ok though.

A magic number is a sequence used in all files of a given format which allows an operating system to quickly identify the file format. Usually, the magic number is at the beginning of the file. This also applies to filesystems (filesystem definition is still a file after all). For example, all ext filesystems (ext2, ext3, ext4) have the bytes 0x53 0xEF at positions 1080-1081. Tools that interact with the filesystem check for the presence of this number to ensure you aren't trying to run them against a filesystem they aren't designed to work with and prevent possible damage. If you manually change the magic number on a filesystem, most tools will refuse to touch the filesystem entirely. Some FS repair tools are designed to be clever and treat the magic number as something that could potentially be broken and try to recover it.
I'm not that experienced with this and I don't want to advise you incorrectly. I'll dig around though.

vitorhpmelo

Feb 4, 2021
Let me check some more, but you have a file system problem, namely, the magic number is bad for some reason. Your lsblk looks ok though.

I'm not that experienced with this and I don't want to advise you incorrectly. I'll dig around though.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! But you sugest that I erase the whole ssd and install both OS again? The SSD can be broken?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pranav