• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

The importance of open source

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
The importance of open source software, and maybe even more importantly, open source computers, is becoming more apparent every day. I'm wondering what its going to take for people to realize the simple truth that we need to be in control of our tech. I'm asking for suggestions to be made on how we can best inform people of ways to transition and take control of their 'smart' lives. The aim is to give little tips or nuggets of wisdom to help people accomplish that.

Although there's many alarmist videos and vigilant exponents I thought I'd share this to help explain the dangers of big tech.

I'm not going to miss an opportunity to thank System76 for their machines, hard work and Pop!_OS.

Last edited:

evertiro

Keymaster
Developer
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2018
Aurora, NE
evertiro.com
Build a truly open-source smart-home solution. Compete with Alexa, Siri, and Google Home on their level... but a completely open platform.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Surely someone has done that. I might attempt it if I wanted to have those things and functionality.
There has to be some point when the pendulum swings back. The point where people become conscious of the fact that they can't legally fix their own tractor or toaster before they purchase it. The point when the fine print of smart devices becomes common knowledge. (See video link posted above)
If somebody is interested there is a niche right there - open source tractors!

Last edited:

evertiro

Keymaster
Developer
Founding Member
Nov 21, 2018
Aurora, NE
evertiro.com
To be honest, I haven't actually heard of one. I mean, I've seen people build pseudo-smart home systems as arduino projects, but nothing that comes close to what the big boys are doing. It'd be a super ambitious project, for sure.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
If IOT and smart devices are the way our lives are heading it would be in our interest to make sure WE are the ones in control of them in our homes. This researcher hooked up 18 smart devices in her family home and used them for everything for a period of time while watching the output. This TED Talk is interesting and a little disturbing.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
The importance of having open source software and hardware was once again impressed on me while booting up my MacBook Pro. I'm mostly free, but after 13 years of using Apple OS X you get a little invested in the ecosystem. I now only use my MBP for music related tasks and syncing Ipods. Anyway, the second last time I used it there was a system update which I installed after reading the description. It basically said something like 'security fixes and system improvements', but when I booted up today it was interrupted with a long low tone and then a different boot screen. After the loading finished a request to "help" Apple make my experience better by letting them have my telemetry appeared. It didn't say "telemetry" but instead used some pleasing terms that escape me now. After ignoring it by clicking NO, it resumed the normal boot process. I'm pretty pissed about this. First they tell me my perfectly good hardware can't have the latest version of OS X, and now they say they want to make my experience better. I think it was an insidious and underhanded move on their part; To breach my trust by fooling me with updates only to spam my startup process. Aside from completely dismissing important updates, I realized again that I have no control over what the corporation does with it's proprietary software and system. At least with an open source Linux system a patch or script to eliminate the crap could be made and distributed if such a thing were to happen. Once again, I'm thankful that the people who put Pop!_OS together have the mindset to appreciate the importance of utilizing open source for the control it gives us over our digital lives.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
From Forbes.com, "Google just gave 2 billion Chrome users a reason to switch to Firefox". apparently Google are going to prevent ad-blockers from working on Chrome. The only Chrome browser users who will be able to block adds will be Google Enterprise users.

“We are starting to see Google’s conflict of interest arising,” Sean Wright, an independent security consultant told me. “Google relies on the revenue of advertising, so one can see why they would make such a move.”
Ads are at the heart of Google’s business model.

arturasb

May 3, 2019
Being "open" means that you have to think, question, learn and make **your** decisions. This is hard. And then people let others (mostly corporates & governments) to think & decide for them. So, the businesses are simply following the majority.

On the practical side it is nearly impossible to find FOSS HW and build **your** PC. At least now at the level of best proprietary variants.

I'm looking forward to see what RISC5 wave will bring in terms of FOSS HW....

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I'm looking forward to see what RISC5 wave will bring in terms of FOSS HW....
Agreed! That will be a game changer. I've been keeping an eye on RISC-V after seeing it mentioned at the Qubes OS project. I don't pretend to understand it all though.

Being "open" means that you have to think, question, learn and make **your** decisions. This is hard. And then people let others (mostly corporates & governments) to think & decide for them. So, the businesses are simply following the majority.
Your observation is accurate and reflects our modern society's attitude, which is why it is important for projects like RISC-V to continue and improve. It's also why I see it as imperative that companies like Purism and System76 succeed. Once the business model is established, people begin to learn about and buy their new open options, it will start to break the hold of the proprietary cartels. Unlike nearly all other distributions, supporting Pop!_OS has a larger impact on the future by virtue of their associated hardware manufacturing business.

arturasb

May 3, 2019
> I don't pretend to understand it all though.

Me neither ;) The whole FPGA thing is mind blowing, but still interesting.

> It's also why I see it as imperative that companies like Purism and System76 succeed. Once the business model is established, people begin to learn about and buy their new open options, it will start to break the hold of the proprietary cartels.

I fully agree with you. Such companies are also special in a way that they spend time & money while going against main streams until critical mass of users, followers & supporters is reached. Incredible believe in their own ideas & dreams!

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
A long overdue overhaul of modern law needs to happen to reign in and moderate proprietary products from big corporations. For example, this bill would make it possible to fine corporations 40k for each breach of customer's privacy. Apparently, devices like Alexa can just listen without the alert word being said, which contractors and staff can then listen to. These tech companies deny it of course, but it seems your personal conversations and activities in your home are not private at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8bg