• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Happy New Year!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

The Pop!_OS Roadmap has been updated.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
For anyone interested in Pop's progress and planned features, the Pop!_OS Roadmap has been updated Friday. (2019.12.27)

There's many improvements coming for existing programs and features, which is important and requires a lot of hard work and know-how, but two new things caught my eye.

Async Fetcher:

A new Rust crate built around asynchronous I/O, using Rust’s async / await syntax. This project will be used across all Pop!_OS and System76 projects for caching, fetching, and validating files fetched from HTTP/S file servers
As has happened with many critical system components already, this feature is written in the Rust coding language. It's proving to be a massive game changer in the field and many of the big players have their eye on projects like this.

Pop!_Shell:

The #1 competitor to GNOME Shell for our users is i3wm. Tiling window management in GNOME Shell is currently really bad, but we can fix this with:
  • Advanced window tiling
  • Setting to launch applications tiled
  • Keyboard shortcuts update for window navigation and movement
  • Quick launcher for launching apps and switching windows
My anticipation for Pop!_Shell is through the roof. It's an adjustment to GNOME shell that will fundamentally be a new window manager. It sounds like System76 will iron out a ton of GNOME bugs and extension problems by implementing this tiling window management system. To me, it sounds like a hybrid creation of i3wm and GNOME functionality. I like pop with GNOME DE, and I like pop with i3wm, but I think I'm going to love pop!_Shell. I can't wait for this!

Pop's GNOME DE will still be the priority because of hardware sales, but I think Pop!_Shell will turn the Linux desktop world on it's head.

Last edited:
Reactions: arturasb

MikeStutzzzz

Mar 10, 2019
Would like to see an option for Home Partition Encryption but since it already supports entire OS encryption I guess that is more secure.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Would like to see an option for Home Partition Encryption but since it already supports entire OS encryption I guess that is more secure.
Full disk encryption as a default for a Linux OS is ground breaking. It is next level security compared to encrypting the Home folder only. However, any kind of custom installation prevents the option for full disk encryption. In that case, Home folder encryption is still a good measure. It is quite easy to do using LUKS via 'Disks'.

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
Pop_shell is pretty interesting... While I am not really a fan of Gnome 3 in whatever salsa, If they would dare to implement the same concept as this very old Tiling Windows Manager would be fantastic. Standard desktops (not default Gnome 3) tend to mess up a lot while pure tilings are too strict to me: I need an hybrid; as Echinus attempted to achieve back to its time.

The various extensions of Gnome are very poor implemented and work very bad with a dual monitors...

Last edited:

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I only wish that I didn't have to write all of this in JavaScript. 😅 There are so many limitations on the kinds of data structures and operations that I can do, which will make this a bit more difficult than it needs to be. I hope that GNOME will eventually support using WebAssembly in GJS, since that would allow us to write our GNOME extensions in Rust.

Reactions: TeamLinux01

mmstick

System76 Staff
Founding Member
Dec 15, 2018
Denver, Colorado
It would have been nice if extensions were launched as isolated processes; using IPC to communicate to and from the shell. That would have allowed extensions to be written in any language, and handled in a concurrent / asynchronous way.

Gnuserland

Jul 2, 2019
write.snopyta.org
Well you decided to adopt Gnome 3, made by the least collaborative team out there... You could re-base POP on KUBUNTU, and make it similar to Gnome3. KDE is so flexible that you can even replicate the same behavior of Unity... Plus you would have all the benefits of full and complete DE, like for example dual monitor working out of the box? And I am more an XFCE gui. You might also use Pantheon, whatever option is better than Gnome 3...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ektaynot