• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

The "Things to consider before upgrading to 20.04" thread.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I think the large majority of successful upgrades has slipped under the radar, possibly being a case of "no news is good news". We've certainly seen the people who have had issues upgrading to 20.04 though. A couple times people have contacted me asking if it is safe yet. The answer is always going to be "I don't know", because I have no idea how Linux behaves on your machine, what you've installed and what you have modified. There's a multitude of factors which can have a bearing on whether your upgrade is successful. Hopefully, this can become a helpful thread that guides people to make an informed decision about when to upgrade and possible adjustments needed before attempting it. Let us know about your failure and what you had to do to fix it.

If you're posting, please supply some basic specs to help with context, especially if your upgrade was successful.

RULE #1 before upgrading: MAKE A BACK UP!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nepherim

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I have two upgrades so far, with another six to come.

The first was my test machine which had the 20.04 beta on it months before release. The final upgrade to official was mostly uneventful. There were some minor software glitches, the most notable being the git directory for Pop-shell beta not playing nicely with the official extension. Most people will not have to worry about this at all, but worth a mention. I'm used to Pop feeling solid, stable and operating a certain way. I was having the impression that the upgrade from 19.10 to 20.04 beta, and then to 20.04 official wasn't feeling quite right. Maybe fortuitously, I ended up completely borking the system. It is, after all, a test machine that I do weird things on. I did a fresh install and what I suspected was indeed the case. The fresh install felt a lot more solid.
Intel i5-3470, Intel HD graphics 2500, 8GB RAM

From all I've observed, I get the impression that 20.04 is not just an upgrade, but more like a major progression in the Ubuntu / Pop / GNOME universe. 18.04 through to 19.10 seemed to make improvements, but remain fundamentally the same. I did notice some changes to the way 19.10 sourced theme and did css, which I think 20.04 took a step further. So many changes and features were introduced that I'm of the opinion that 20.04 would be best installed fresh and built on for a couple versions. That's my two cents, but I'm still going to attempt all the upgrades though.

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Next was my business laptop. To begin, I checked if I had anything on apt-mark showhold, then did the essential OS upgrades first, being sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade. The upgrade of this machine to 19.10 from 19.04 was butter smooth using the "Upgrade" button in the system Settings, so I thought I'd try that again. It started, looked like smooth sailing, but then failed. It complained about Vim. I don't know why. So I ran the terminal commands instead, which I usually prefer anyway. In one terminal I ran systemctl status pop-upgrade, while in a new window I started the upgrade again using sudo pop-upgrade release upgrade systemd -f. This ran perfectly.

On reboot, all looked well. I keep this machine really close to stock, so I don't expect it to misbehave at all. There were a couple of small casualties associated with GNOME extensions -typical. Lol. The most obvious was all of my installed software missing when pressing super + a. After some trial and error I discovered that "App Folders" GNOME extension was responsible. I toggled it off, removed it and all is well.
I'm a keen user and supporter of Pop-Shell, the new tiling extension, so I was quite upset when it wasn't working. I tried a bunch of things including reinstalling it, but it just wouldn't start. I removed the git directory for the beta but still no love. I had to actually remove the current Pop-Shell entry in the new "Extensions App" and then reboot. Suddenly all was well.
All my calendar and contacts made it through, as did my firewall, VPN and configs. I consider this one a 99% success.

SteveM

Aug 24, 2019
Beaverton, OR
I upgraded one system that was running a fully updated 19.10 two weeks after the release of 20.04. If I was worried about a trouble free upgrade I would have waited longer, but I had Timeshift to fall back on and all important data is on the NAS so there wasn't anything to risk except for down time.

I used the upgrade button in the GUI as I reasoned that is what a "normal" person would do. The actual upgrade seemed to go well and after reboot neofetch reported I was running 20.04 but apt was showing something like 400 packages that needed updated. I couldn't update them because of a MySQL package upgrade error. I eventually found the cruft left behind by the old package and once that was deleted the apt upgrade was able to complete. Next I found that Apache was down because it was still trying to load php 7.3 but the system was now using 7.4. That was quickly remedied and Apache was happy again. The only remaining gripe is that I was using Gnome light mode and the new 20.04 default is dark mode. It decided to ignore my selection and move me over to the dark side.

Oh yes, and extensions were a mess. There were even some that are installed as part of the base OS that did not work until updated and all Pop! tells you is that they need updated without really helping you figure out how. I must be getting old because using Firefox to complete an OS upgrade is just not something I find intuitive. Once I figured out what to do it went smoothly, but it seemed like something that should have been taken care of for me in the upgrade since they were put there by Pop!

My belief is that the MySQL and PHP issues that I had were a fault of the underlying Ubuntu code, but changing me to dark mode was a System76 bug or oversight. Is it a trouble free upgrade? Probably not. Is that System76's fault? Probably not.

SteveM

Aug 24, 2019
Beaverton, OR
That's an important point to make - the new default is dark mode and an upgrade, or fresh installation, will begin with it. It's easy enough to toggle back, but it is something to expect now.
For a fresh install it should begin in dark mode as that is the new default. But for upgrades that is a bug and should not be expected behavior. None of my other non-default settings were forced back to default in the upgrade.

Reactions: Nepherim

Nepherim

Oct 28, 2019
Well, after putting off the upgrade from 19.04 to 20.04 I finally bit the bullet and pushed that Upgrade button. Reports of upgrade issues, initial issues with my original install, and having an older system with a now unsupported video card drove my somewhat conservative approach.

As precaution I took a few basic preparation steps -- I have no idea to what extent (if any) these steps affected the outcome:
  • removed all non-Pop application repositories
  • removed Gnome Tweaks
  • removed all the crap software I didn't really need and had installed to play around with
  • made a backup of any key configs on the system drive (cron, fstab, etc)
  • took a note of all the software I had installed that I may need to reinstall
Only two minor issues:
  • Theme reverted to dark (as noted by SteveM above)
  • A few graphic artifacts on the app-launcher screen, only after resuming from suspend (I did have similar issues on 19.04 but these occurred on the lock screen, probably related to the older graphics card).
So a flawless upgrade as far as I'm concerned. I like the subtle changes to the UI, and the system feels faster, although I didn't actually measure anything, so this could be entirely imaginary. I've not used tiling as I don't have a need for it.

TL;DR: Very smooth upgrade, no issues to be concerned with, would upgrade in the future :)

System: GA-MA78GM-S2H | AMD Phenom II X4 955 / 24Gb / 1024Mb Nvidia GeForce GT-240 / 250Gb Samsung SSD 850 EVO | Anne Pro 2 | G305

Last edited:
Reactions: derpOmattic

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Upgraded another desktop today. This machine has been installed since 18.10 and upgraded per the schedule. It has given a couple problems in the past, but usually nothing significant, except one time it threw me into a login loop. It was corrected by moving the .config file. This time around, I disabled all the GNOME extensions, unmounted all the volumes, and took things off apt-mark hold.
I fully updated the system, ran autoclean and then dpkg-clean to remove orphaned packages. The upgrade started fine from terminal with:
sudo pop-upgrade release upgrade systemd -f
It failed at some point due to a connection drop out, so I ran it again. I had to do this a second time also. It's accumulative, so it eventually completed.
It rebooted and updated without issue with the exception of the beta Pop-Shell extension from git. Same as the laptop above, I removed the directory and then the entry in the extensions app. I ran sudo apt install --reinstall pop-shell to get the official release into the Extensions App. Three other GNOME extensions wanted upgrading, which I did, then rebooted again.
Everything is great now. A very successful upgrade with everything intact.

Screenshot from 2020-06-14 15-35-02.png

Last edited:

SteveM

Aug 24, 2019
Beaverton, OR
I wonder what the technical limitation is that prevents encapsulating steps like these into a GUI based upgrade tool that is so easy any orphan from Win7 could follow it.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Upgraded another two machines over the weekend, both without a hitch. One was an old machine at home which wasn't kept up to date, so the package manager needed refreshing, but after, updated with no casualties. It didn't even swap to dark theme, so it now honors the config before upgrading. A new install will begin in dark mode though.
The second was an office machine, which had some CAD software and 3D modelling stuff, so I was worried about that one. It needed to be updated to the new LTS and we'll keep it there. The upgrade was flawless.

I think anyone wanting to update to the new LTS will probably be safe. It seems most of the new version / upgrade bugs are fixed. Pop-Shell is definitely behaving admirably now. No problems for me at all.

Reactions: SteveM

dysonsphere

Jul 7, 2020
I am having issues trying to upgrade.
I get the following error, either with the settings app or with the sudo pop-upgrade release upgrade systemd command:
release upgrade aborted: failed to apply system repair before upgrade: error checking and fixing fstab: failed to parse the fstab file: device path for /dev/disk/by-uuid/e2ac6454-fa21-4f6c-b43c-ab829a086551 was not found

dysonsphere

Jul 7, 2020
What is the contents of cat /etc/fstab?
m3coordinator@dyson-pop-os:~$ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
/dev/mapper/cryptswap none swap defaults 0 0
PARTUUID=e66c6e06-0956-4f8a-b758-131dfc08ae89 /boot/efi vfat umask=0077 0 0
UUID=d0028591-a4f3-4f26-a86d-ba59c365b152 / ext4 noatime,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/disk/by-uuid/e2ac6454-fa21-4f6c-b43c-ab829a086551 /media/m3coordinator/DATA auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
/dev/disk/by-uuid/0e1f22d2-11ce-4b22-aefd-9d16cd4a8fd0 /mnt/0e1f22d2-11ce-4b22-aefd-9d16cd4a8fd0 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
10.116.132.56:/volume1/G1240_Data /media/NAS/G1240_Data nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

SteveM

Aug 24, 2019
Beaverton, OR
Whatever you usually mount as /media/m3coordinator/DATA is not connected to the system. Maybe try commenting out that line and try again? Uncomment after upgrade if you need to use that drive again.

dysonsphere

Jul 7, 2020
ok this helped. I was able to upgrade. but now it seems that mysql updates are broken.

Code:
m3coordinator@dyson-pop-os:~$ sudo apt list --upgradable
Listing... Done
mysql-client/focal-updates,focal-updates,focal-security,focal-security 8.0.20-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 amd64 [upgradable from: 8.0.19-1ubuntu19.10]
mysql-server/focal-updates,focal-updates,focal-security,focal-security 8.0.20-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 amd64 [upgradable from: 8.0.19-1ubuntu19.10]
Code:
m3coordinator@dyson-pop-os:~$ sudo apt upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  mysql-client mysql-server
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Code:
m3coordinator@dyson-pop-os:~$ sudo apt install mysql-client

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree     

Reading state information... Done

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have

requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable

distribution that some required packages have not yet been created

or been moved out of Incoming.

The following information may help resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

mysql-client : Depends: mysql-client-8.0 but it is not going to be installed

E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
mysql is, however still installed:
Code:
m3coordinator@dyson-pop-os:~$ mysql --version
mysql  Ver 8.0.19 for Linux on x86_64 (MySQL Community Server - GPL)

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
The second was an office machine, which had some CAD software and 3D modelling stuff, so I was worried about that one. It needed to be updated to the new LTS and we'll keep it there. The upgrade was flawless.
It looks like the only casualty for this machine is a program called pdfsam, which my admin was using. The ppa couldn't update with the upgrade. It was purged and re-installed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinity