• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Question Beginner Solved Time Shift vs Systemback

heelrayner

May 5, 2019
USA
I would like to know if anyone here is using either. I installed timeshift thinking it worked, the backups did happen, however i left my pc running for 8 hours on restore and the screen didn't move. some have said i need to use grub2 for timeshift to work. i was looking into https://launchpad.net/systemback and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it?

sudorm-rf

May 4, 2019
Dallas,TX
graynixer.github.io
Naughty me, I currently don't really backup. I have syncthing shooting a copy of my music/photos/docs to my phone so I have a copy with me at all times. Anything sensitive is in Standard notes.

I did use Timeshift on Mint and it worked really well, I have a couple of acquaintances that it saved their behind. May just take some more looking into.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I use Timeshift and have no problem with it. I'm starting to realize that it is common to misunderstand Timeshift's function. Although you had a problem it does sound like you were using it correctly. Timeshift is great if your "System" borks up and you need to regress, but it won't revert your personal files, which I think is great. So you end up with a functional system and anything new you've saved in Home remains. In the interim if you've saved your home folder to Timeshift, you can retrieve files from Home out of it - it just doesn't restore them if you do a restore.
Timeshift actually say that it is not a back-up tool. As in, it doesn't create a system image. They recommend to use BackinTime;

Timeshift is similar to applications like rsnapshot, BackInTime and TimeVault but with different goals. It is designed to protect only system files and settings. User files such as documents, pictures and music are excluded. This ensures that your files remains unchanged when you restore your system to an earlier date. If you need a tool to backup your documents and files please take a look at the excellent BackInTime application which is more configurable and provides options for saving user files.

TeamLinux01

May 5, 2019
I store all my important data in my Nextcloud folder, which syncs with my server running in my house.
I have gotten in the habit of creating symbolic links to Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc... to ones in the Nextcloud folder.

As for using TimeShift, I used it to backup all of my data and then reinstalled a newer version of Pop!_OS and copied the folders and files that I wanted back. I haven't used it to restore a system completely or recover from system failure.

PeterPoppins

May 15, 2019
I've just come over to Pop!_OS from Mint (Timeshift worked amazingly on Mint!) so I'm just in the process of figuring out how well it works here. I am also really confused about the bootloader issue. Pop doesn't use Grub and I don't want to overwrite the bootloader with it so I don't know where that leaves me.

I tried reverting to a Timeshift backup yesterday. I unselected the Grub options in 'Bootloader options (Advanced)' on the first window when trying to restore thinking that it'd just leave the bootloader alone. But then on another section it showed that it was going to do some stuff related to Grub. I guess I should've changed those settings too..? Anyway, it wouldn't boot after so I did a refresh install of Pop and tried restoring the backup again but with the Grub options enabled this time - still didn't work.

I also had a go at reverting to a Mint backup because apparently you can revert to a different OS install with Timeshift, but that didn't work either.

I don't know what to make of this. In the guides I've seen, no one actually runs you through the restore process on Pop so it confusing to know what to do. I'll stay tuned to this thread though and hopefully we can figure out the proper way to do this.

PeterPoppins

May 15, 2019
Sorry to double post but I've got some good news. I tried Timeshift again with 18.04LTS and it worked :) I'm not sure why it worked ok this time and not before but I read that you can just unselect the Grub options if you're using a different bootloader. So I did that again as before and it worked out this time. I'm now running a fresh install of 19.04 and will see if Timeshift works well here too.

Btw, is Timeshift in the Pop!_OS repos? It's just that I thought it wasn't, yet I saw it in my software centre after this install and managed to install it from there even though I did a fresh install of POP, erasing the drive first.. The same thing happened with multiple fresh installs of 18.04LTS too, although I wasn't actually able to install Timeshift with them without actually installing the Timeshift PPA first. Weird..

Have I stumbled onto a bug here? Is the Pop!_OS installer not properly erasing the drive before a fresh install? Maybe I should make a separate thread on that..

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Timeshift has been in the Pop!_OS repo for a while, but I've only just completed the DEP-11 appstream data that allows timeshift to be seen in the Pop!_Shop. ;)

PeterPoppins

May 15, 2019
Ah right. That's cool. Thanks for letting me know! Well, working all good for me now so hopefully @heelrayner has the same experience!

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Berinth