• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Type 1 Hypervisor for Windows virtualization

ParanoidNemo

Mar 1, 2020
Hi guys,
let's see if someone can help me. I'm dualbooting Windows and Pop!_OS and the solution work fairly well, but because I only use Windows for a bounch of software I would gladly ditch it for full Pop if I can virtualize it in a good way. For "a good way" I mean a type-1 hypervisor that I can use to paravirtualize (or in the windows case HVM virtualize) Windows 10 so that I can give it access to basically full hardaware resources if needed.
Right now on Windows I've experimented with Hyper-V and I have to say that it's a fantastic tool! That being said I know the existence of Xen but I cannot find a good guide or assistence to set it up. Can someone help me or suggest some other type-1 hypervisor?

Thank you so much for your time.

- PN

MikeStutzzzz

Mar 10, 2019
QEMU/KVM is what you should go with. Virtualbox may be able to suit your needs as well. I would try the GnomeBoxes Flatpak see if it can do everything you need. Personally I run Virt-Manager since I like being able to connect to the VM's via the Bridge Interface. Be careful with assigning all CPUs to the VM, this could cause the VM to bog down your Host I normally assign 4 on a 8 thread cpu.

ParanoidNemo

Mar 1, 2020
QEMU/KVM is what you should go with. Virtualbox may be able to suit your needs as well. I would try the GnomeBoxes Flatpak see if it can do everything you need. Personally I run Virt-Manager since I like being able to connect to the VM's via the Bridge Interface. Be careful with assigning all CPUs to the VM, this could cause the VM to bog down your Host I normally assign 4 on a 8 thread cpu.
Thanks for the reply, that's the reason I'm searching for a Type-1 hypervisor. Virtualbox is a type-2 and doesn't fit my need. KVM should be but I red the documentation and is not that clear IMO. The type 1 give you the chance to assign every resource to the guest and it scale it to maintain the host working "load based" because even if you have an host it really run baremetal. Gnemo boxes is KVM but as far as I know give you soooo much less flexibility and personalization, expecially when we are talking about HW passthrough.

MikeStutzzzz

Mar 10, 2019
Thanks for the reply, that's the reason I'm searching for a Type-1 hypervisor. Virtualbox is a type-2 and doesn't fit my need. KVM should be but I red the documentation and is not that clear IMO. The type 1 give you the chance to assign every resource to the guest and it scale it to maintain the host working "load based" because even if you have an host it really run baremetal. Gnemo boxes is KVM but as far as I know give you soooo much less flexibility and personalization, expecially when we are talking about HW passthrough.
Then you can use the normal version of GnomeBoxes or Virt-Manager the Flatpak is just something quick if you need to do PCI passthrough etc Virt-manager will probalby work best for you. If you install the debs from popstore you can use both to manage your VMs just point virt-manager to usersession or modify boxes to point to system session

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nazar2sfive