• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Unable to update `pop-session`

Mahery Ranaivoson

Jul 26, 2020
Folks,
I am having trouble while upgrading my Pop!_OS 20.04 LTS on my laptop.

The `sudo apt upgrade` thrown me the following error and I attached the full stack in the txt file.

Errors were encountered while processing:
v4l2loopback-dkms
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I doubt the error was triggered while updating `pop-session` as it has `v4l2loopback` as a dependency and this module seemed to have an issue. Although other packages have been updated but this one.

I'm also wondering whether the recent `pop-session` package required a higher kernel version than I have.

My laptop setup:
DELL Inspiron 5570
Intel® Core™ i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz × 8
AMD® Iceland / Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2)
Kernel: 5.4.0-7634-generic

Any workaround would be appreciable.
Thanks,

Attachments

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
pop-session had an icon swapped out due to it being buggy, but we've seen Launchpad being "a bit grumpy" about it. Most people are getting a result by running sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade. The full-upgrade option will override and install the new package.

Mahery Ranaivoson

Jul 26, 2020
pop-session had an icon swapped out due to it being buggy, but we've seen Launchpad being "a bit grumpy" about it. Most people are getting a result by running sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade. The full-upgrade option will override and install the new package.
Thanks for your prompt reply.
Unfortunately, it didn't resolve the issue. I still got the same error

yiannisvspanos

Nov 15, 2020
Greece
I'm on 20.04 right now. If I install v4l2loopback-source, what do I have to do then to load the kernel module? I'm trying to create a vitual camera using OBS at the momemnt.

This is what I tried after installing it.
sudo modprobe v4l2loopback
modprobe: FATAL: Module v4l2loopback not found in directory /lib/modules/5.8.0-7625-generic

yiannisvspanos

Nov 15, 2020
Greece
v4l2loopback say it's an Ubuntu problem.
Those issues are why people say Archlinux is unstable. I didn't know they were happening with Ubuntu too. I'm not blamming Pop!, nor Ubuntu, but rather all the people who critisise ArchLinux for things like that, and advocate that Ubuntu doesn't have the same issues. I used Manjaro for 12 months and Arch for 11, before switching to Pop, and I never had an issue like that.

Reactions: Mahery Ranaivoson

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I understand the frustration, and how ridiculous it sounds that the LTS hasn't been taken care of, but, to be fair, I've been using Pop since 17.10 and never experienced that before with anything that I use.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpian555