• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Beginner Uninstall a flatpak from the Pop!_Shop

antonsem

May 30, 2020
Prague, Czechia
Hi everyone! I'm quite new to Pop!_OS and Linux in general. So far Pop!_OS worked pretty much out of the box, and I love it! However, I'm having a minor issue with the Pop!_Shop updates and uninstalling of some apps.

A couple weeks ago I installed Unity Hub from the Pop!_Shop. I had some issues with it, so I decided to download it from Unity's website. However, I think I screwed something up while uninstalling the Pop!_Shop version. Now when I click "Uninstall" on the Unity Hub page in the store the "Waiting" bar shows up for a split second, then disappears. Same thing happens when I click on "Update."

The most annoying part is the pop shop icon claims that I have two updates. When I click on the "Installs" tab, I can see "Operating System Updates - 1 component with updates" and "Unity Hub." Clicking on "Update All" or "Update" buttons causes the Unity Hub to disappears for a second and then comes back.

Is there anyway I can completely remove the hub?
Thank you in advance!

popShop.png

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Flatpak integration for the Pop_Shop is another first for System76, and it works well, but Linux software shops in general seem to need a little more work. Using Terminal directly with the package manager will give you control over what your doing in times like that. Once flatpak is installed, you can work with it with the flatpak command. For example flatpak update, or flatpak search. See man flatpak for more information.

Back to your question, in Terminal run flatpak list.

If you see the Unity package there, just use flatpak-uninstall <the.full.name.of.the.package>.

To completely update your system use sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade. Then reboot. Everything should be up to date, but you may have to let Pop_Shop catch up.

antonsem

May 30, 2020
Prague, Czechia
Hi @derpOmattic, thank you for your quick reply! The "flatpak list" command did show that I have the hub installed.
flatpakList.png

However, when I try to uninstall it, it claims that Unity Hub is not installed...
uninstall.png

Did I missed something? Or is it a bug?

antonsem

May 30, 2020
Prague, Czechia
I tried the repair command, and it repaired the hub. So I was able to run it. But the update still was a problem. Then I found the installation folder of the hub (/home/<user>/.local/share/flatpak/app), and just deleted the folder (com.unity.UnityHub). That solved the issue of uninstalling it :D

But I still have the "Operating System Updates" warning. The update && upgrade does nothing. Now I just hope that it will go away with future updates. Huge thanks for your help @derpOmattic!

antonsem

May 30, 2020
Prague, Czechia
An update on the situation...

Since that annoying update warning refuses to go anywhere I decided to check it out one more time. This time I tried "flatpak update" command. It claimed that there are 7 updates, and I got "permission denied" error when I tried to proceed. When I ran the same command with sudo, it claimed that there was nothing to update.

Is there any way to give the permission without sudo?

flatpakUpdate.png

Edit: And when I try to update packages individually, it claims that the packages are not installed.

flatpakUpdate_2.png

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Oh, it's an AppImage. Did you delete the file and it's file associations and menu entries? Try sudo apt-get purge '*unity*'. From what I'm reading about it, it can be stubborn.

I also think you should try purging flatpak. There is something weird going on with permissions there. Then sudo apt install --reinstall flatpak.

Reboot and see if it helps. To be clear, I'm not 100% certain what you've done yet, and these actions are sensible, but you should research more if you're not sure. The suggestions are normally innocuous on the system as a whole, at least make back ups of your important files.

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarryPEthan