• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.

Question upgrade 19.04 to 19.10 failed with kernel 5.3.0-18, can I safely just use 5.0.0-32 and if so how to roll back default kernel to 5.0.0-32

pjc

Oct 26, 2019
the upgrade from 19.04 to 19.10 worked but the machine failed to boot with the new kernel. I had to manually select Pop_OS-oldkern during reboot to force it use older 5.0.0-32 so I now have 19.10 running on the old kernel. I don't know if there will be issues with that or not but I don't appear to have an option for now, do I?

I'd like to change the default boot option so I don't have to manually select Pop_OS-oldkern each time I boot but I am unsure how to do this safely so that next kernel update will not overwrite my working oldkern

I'm a newbie, can you help? How do I edit /boot/efi/loader.conf and other files in /boot to just get rid of incompatible 5.3.0-18 and safely be set for the next kernel update?

many thanks for your help

Code:
# cat loader.conf
default Pop_OS-current
timeout 5

Code:
# tree /boot
/boot
├── config-5.0.0-32-generic
├── config-5.3.0-18-generic
├── efi
│   ├── EFI
│   │   ├── BOOT
│   │   │   └── BOOTX64.EFI
│   │   ├── Pop_OS-28aaa008-2aa0-46fb-8e77-8b599f823b87
│   │   │   ├── cmdline
│   │   │   ├── initrd.img
│   │   │   ├── initrd.img-previous
│   │   │   ├── vmlinuz.efi
│   │   │   └── vmlinuz-previous.efi
│   │   ├── Recovery-E669-BEC2
│   │   │   ├── initrd.gz
│   │   │   └── vmlinuz.efi
│   │   └── systemd
│   │       └── systemd-bootx64.efi
│   └── loader
│       ├── entries
│       │   ├── Pop_OS-current.conf
│       │   ├── Pop_OS-oldkern.conf
│       │   └── Recovery-E669-BEC2.conf
│       ├── loader.conf
│       └── loader.conf-bak
├── grub
│   ├── gfxblacklist.txt
│   ├── grub.cfg
│   ├── grubenv
│   └── unicode.pf2
├── initrd.img -> initrd.img-5.3.0-18-generic
├── initrd.img-4.18.0-22-generic
├── initrd.img-5.0.0-32-generic
├── initrd.img-5.3.0-18-generic
├── initrd.img.old -> initrd.img-5.0.0-32-generic
├── System.map-5.0.0-32-generic
├── System.map-5.3.0-18-generic
├── vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-5.3.0-18-generic
├── vmlinuz-5.0.0-32-generic
├── vmlinuz-5.3.0-18-generic
└── vmlinuz.old -> vmlinuz-5.0.0-32-generic

9 directories, 31 files

pjc

Oct 26, 2019
I was not familiar with uefi boot and it turns out that like grub you can config the kernel this is actually a simple systemd-boot configuration, simply highlight (using up/down keys) the old kernel in the systemd-boot menu after the bios (use space to show if not showing) and hit `d` for default key. this got my system running on the old kernel.

a larger problem for me was actually a 19.10 update I installed yesterday which made the old kernel inoperable on my machine. I've rolled back completely to 19.04 using the rescure reinstall. (the rescue reinstall worked very smoothly)

I am not sure what the 19.10 incompatibilities with my machine are so will stay with 19.04 for now

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Glad you got back to a working machine. Some people are experiencing incompatibility with the 19.10 upgrade, but I'm sure the devs will sort it out. It is super difficult to make software that plays nice with every make and model of hardware.

Members online

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krige