• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Upgrade stuck from 18.04 to 20.04

ViBE

Feb 24, 2020
I just decided to finally go on with the new version but something went wrong. I have a Lenovo Y520 laptop and it has EFI. After the first reboot i got a terminal what sadly i don't captured but it told me, to hit CTRL+D to continue. I did it but basically nothing happened after this and after a few minutes later I did a magic combo. Now I don't see any EFI entry about Pop!_OS, only my Windows listed and the SSD. If I select the second it looks like it's a kind of entry for Pop!_OS but after a sceen flickering only Lenovo bootsplash appears and here we go again. Screen just stuck and nothing happens...

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Maybe you can log in with a TTY. To achieve that try pressing ctrl + alt + F4. If you can log in that way it is possible to move the ~/.config file, which sometimes causes problems with upgrades that have been a long time between. You may have to chroot in yet, but see if you can TTY first. For more information on these terms see the System76 doc.

To clarify, I'm not sure where you're at right now, but the ability to log in with TTY would suggest it's not too serious. The next step would be to try and repair the boot loader with a chroot. Once either of those works, we can see if your upgrade was successful and work on it if need be.

ViBE

Feb 24, 2020
The following happened. I boot up with that SSD entry. After it the screen flickers 3x times with gray picture and then goes black and Lenovo splash appears. Then freeze(?) cause nothing happens. If i hit CTRL+ALT+F5 when it flickers in gray the terminal will shows up and the system not totally useless. Looks like the updates just reverted and something not okay with the VGA driver(s) cause gdm does not starts. I tried to repair gdm but it says that there are a few dependencies so I have to use --fix-missing first. No luck with that....:confused:

The following happens:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
If you're having trouble with the package manager now, follow the guide to repair it. These commands normally work well. Once the package manager is corrected, try to see the status of the upgrade with systemctl status pop-upgrade. If it says it's active and running open a new terminal and use sudo pop-upgrade release upgrade systemd again.

If the package manager doesn't repair with the above commands, you may have to edit your sources manually by editing,or deleting, anything that won't point to focal.

ViBE

Feb 24, 2020
This is my worst Linux system upgrade experience ever...

So I followed that guide but still no luck. Details:

Sorry for the blurring. I tried all the commands. It feels like to me that the system is still bionic while the repos already chaged to focal and that cause the conflict. But not sure. Btw /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ is empty. Is this normal at this state?

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Lets check the three files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d are pointing to focal also. Disregard the fact that the three files might have a filename that says a different release. Just ensure the contents of those files are correct. For example;

Code:
/etc/apt/sources.list.d
❯❯ cat system76-ubuntu-pop-cosmic.list
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/system76/pop/ubuntu focal main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/system76/pop/ubuntu focal main

ViBE

Feb 24, 2020
That folder is totally empty :/

There is a .bak folder which contains a ppas and a list folder. ppas contains my recently y used ppas. There is a system76-ubuntu-pop-bionic.list ppa. Inside I see only the system76 ppa referrimg to bionic.

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
OK, at least it hasn't got conflicting sources in it.

Have a read of the System76 document for upgrading Pop. Scroll down a little to the section "Upgrading older releases". Now that we see where you're at, following those instructions should give you a win. Read them carefully. If you get to number 3, run the upgrade command again. If it fails again try the "Broken Upgrade" instruction.

ViBE

Feb 24, 2020
sudo apt update -m gives me costantly 404 error codes. Is this normal? The IP answers if I ping it. And says that release files are missing.

Last edited:

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Stubborn! That's not normal at all. Run the status command again.
systemctl status pop-upgrade

If it is still active and running, open a new terminal and try the instruction for Broken upgrades.
do-release-upgrade

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
There's definitely some issues with Python in regard to upgrading. Pop's head dev said this recently;

Yes, PPAs were such a problem that the upgrader was updated to do away with them entirely on upgrades. There was a huge Python upgrade between 19.10 and 20.04 that broke lots of stuff

The command sudo dpkg --purge --force-all python should clear that block. Then run the following one at a time.

Code:
sudo apt clean
sudo apt update -m
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt install -f
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt autoremove --purge
If you get this far run the upgrade commands from the Pop upgrade page regarding older versions.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calebgucciardi