• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Question Upgrade stuck from 18.04 to 20.04

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I'm asking a couple questions in regard to Python and Perl. You may need to install the newer versions before the upgrade. Thanks for being patient, it's a difficult and unusual problem.

ViBE

Feb 24, 2020
Thanks. Never ever had an issue like this before. Meanwhile I did some searches. Isn't it an apt problem? Maybe apt is broken too?

ViBE

Feb 24, 2020
Any chances or news? I don't wanna hurry. I'm just stuck with my things since the system broke down.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
This is how I would proceed at this point. Your situation seems very stubborn, so I'm not sure how we're going to go, but these are the things I would try.

To begin, I would try to correct the Python error by installing the newest version of Python in the Pop repo, which is python3.8. Once that is done, I'd try to revisit the package manager fix and clean the sources. If that is successful, you can attempt the upgrade once more. The python3.8 package should install with apt (sudo apt install python3.8), but if that doesn't work, because the package manager is playing up, try to install it via this method -(just change the version).

If that didn't work, I'd then attempt to do a reinstall with a fresh 20.04 USB image. There should be a refresh option when an existing install is found, so use that to keep your account. To be safe, I'd also recommend backing up all your things to somewhere other than the drive your on.

Worse case scenario. If all the above fail, you can do a fresh installation, but you will have your personal back up to copy your things back.

ViBE

Feb 24, 2020
Error messages again. I meant that apt, the application itself is broken. I saw somewhere some similar issues on askubuntu with workarounds, but cannot remember how I found those... or may those also useless.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Honestly, at this point I would try a refresh install with a new 20.04 USB. Sometimes the end-of-life version upgrades just don't play nice. Be sure to back up your personal stuff.

ViBE

Feb 24, 2020
No way to simply just repair the system with the installer? Like Ubuntu does. Cause fresh install is not an option for me...

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
No way to simply just repair the system with the installer
That is what I meant by "refresh install". A refresh install will keep your personal files and configs, but will delete your non-default apps. You will have to install them again, but your configs will be there already.

The next step would be a complete fresh install.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
After you've backed things up, make a new live USB of 20.04. Boot into that and there should be a 'refresh' option when an existing install is found.

ViBE

Feb 24, 2020
I don't see option for Refresh with 20.04 installer...:(

The partitions are live, not damaged. Should I try 18.04 installer first?

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Ok, well unless you're willing to fresh install it's back to attempting to fix your sources. It looks like you will have to do it manually and delete everything that isn't in this list.

ViBE

Feb 24, 2020
Is it okay if I overwrite the content of the sources.list? What is the next step then?

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Is it okay if I overwrite the content of the sources.list?
Yes, that is the "manual" part of the fix, as opposed to the commands we ran before. Once your sources look like the link above, check the status of the upgrade. What does systemctl status pop-upgrade say?

ViBE

Feb 24, 2020
Tried the recent guides after that but looks like the system is permanently damaged. After the guides i took a try with 18.04. Looks like the same distro can do repair. I did it with that installer but the result was a system with missing and broken applications. I dunno what the installer did, but not all the system apps restored for some reason. Every start the system notice me that some apps are missing. Looks like everything messed up so at this point I decided to give up and take another shot with the latest distro. Hope I never ever experience similar again. Thanks for your inexhaustible support.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
So 18.04 refreshed 18.04, but 20.04 wouldn't see it. :unsure:

There have been times that I've observed Pop devs just recommend a clean install when a system is really not cooperating with the upgrade. Unfortunately, I think you've had one of those instances and I also hope you don't experience that again. It gives me an idea for a guide.

Members online

Latest posts

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeinzBeur