• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

video card upgrade

benji

Nov 17, 2019
Hi Pop_planet,

I am wanting to upgrade a video card on an old work PC. Just wondering if anyone can offer any advise in selecting a video card. Not sure what to look for, I like the sound of the ASUS Radeon EX-RX570.

Since moving to Pop_OS, I am finding that the machine operates so much faster but experiences intermittent freezing, I have read that nvidia doesnt generally work as well with the linux kernal as say AMD graphics cards. Plus the video card is quite dated.

I have never upgraded a video card and I don't know what to look for when upgrading. Is more RAM ideal ?

The current card is an Nvidia GEForce GTX 660.

Motherboard:
Asus P8Z77-V LK

CPU :
Intel i5-3570K
4core, 4 threads

Monitor 1920 x 1080P

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
If you want the best compatibility with Pop, maybe you could have a look at which video cards System76 put in the Thelio. They ensure those work well with Pop and Linux in general.

Reactions: benji

benji

Nov 17, 2019
I am wondering if my processor will be able to support the upgrade. I am wanting to upgrade the monitor but its running an old i5 3rd Gen (3570K).

Does the CPU require upgrading to be able to handle the increased RAM of the new GPU and monitor?

Going from 1080P to 4K

The system 76 use Radeon 590 Radeon RX 5700 with 2304 Stream which were not good cards.

I have read the specs on the Asus Dual RX-580 which is much better in terms of graphic capabilities. I am just not sure if my processor can handle the upgrade,

Any idea ?

Last edited:

TeamLinux01

May 5, 2019
Usually the CPU will not cause a GPU to work. It has more to do with the chip-set on the motherboard that will prevent a GPU from working properly.

The GPU should work, it might not be able to output the full performance of the GPU do to the CPU speed/cores and the PCIe bus speed (maybe 90% of the cards capabilities), but it will display.

benji

Nov 17, 2019
Usually the CPU will not cause a GPU to work. It has more to do with the chip-set on the motherboard that will prevent a GPU from working properly.

The GPU should work, it might not be able to output the full performance of the GPU do to the CPU speed/cores and the PCIe bus speed (maybe 90% of the cards capabilities), but it will display.
\
Thanks a lot for that info I just wanted to check

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daksh777