• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

What is the difference between Pop OS and Ubuntu?

mgscott

Jun 15, 2020
I have been using Ubuntu since past one year. However, I have been doing a lot of distro-hopping these days. Maybe I am missing something, but I am not able to figure out whats the exact difference between Pop OS and Ubuntu?

I get the point about window manager, nvidia graphics being installed, easier for gaming. However, I think all these things can be done on Ubuntu too. I want to try Pop OS because I don't like Ubuntu forcing snaps. They may be great, but I don't want someone to force me into snaps. Other distros, such as Linux Mint, remove snap, but they don't offer other alternatives for the same package. As per my understanding, Mint has removed the Chromium snap, and now there is no way to install Chromium other than manually downloading the package. This also requires you to update it manually. I liked the fact that Pop OS PPA has a Chromium package in its PPA. However, it has version 80 and the current stable version of Chromium is 83. If that is not updated regularly, I am confused about the purpose of having that package in PPA.

Currently, it is limited to one package. If Ubuntu decides to move more packages to snap, it will create problems. It is necessary to have alternate packages in the case. I thought that was the purpose of having their own PPA which many other Ubuntu-based distros don't have. Am I missing something here? I am not able to figure out if there is a significant difference between Pop OS and Ubuntu.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Have a read of these articles to get you started. A bite sized history and Differentiation. Pop is increasingly moving away from Ubuntu. The latest important differences being window tiling by default, Pop upgrade and recovery, full disk encryption and many critical system components being rewritten in the Rust coding language. System76 have integrated Flatpak into their ecosystem, instead of snaps, which is important because of Snaps proprietary backend. They've also removed a LOT of Ubuntu's bloat, including Canonical's data collection patches.
Having used Ubuntu in the past, I could tell immediately that Pop was snappier, more stable, more secure and had sane defaults for software and settings.

mgscott

Jun 15, 2020
Have a read of these articles to get you started. A bite sized history and Differentiation. Pop is increasingly moving away from Ubuntu. The latest important differences being window tiling by default, Pop upgrade and recovery, full disk encryption and many critical system components being rewritten in the Rust coding language. System76 have integrated Flatpak into their ecosystem, instead of snaps, which is important because of Snaps proprietary backend. They've also removed a LOT of Ubuntu's bloat, including Canonical's data collection patches.
Having used Ubuntu in the past, I could tell immediately that Pop was snappier, more stable, more secure and had sane defaults for software and settings.
It took me some time to figure out the differences, but I agree now that there are significant differences. Many of them being under the hood and offer better hardware support and updates. Links provided by you were helpful. Jeremy Soller's interview on youtube was also useful to understand why Pop_OS came into existence and what's the difference in the philosophy. Thanks for the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vadbars