• Pop!_Planet is still very much under development. Data for the wiki is being sourced from the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis, along with a bunch of completely unique content specific to Pop!_OS, and sourcing, converting and updating that content takes time; please be patient. If you can't find what you're looking for here, check the Arch Linux and Ubuntu wikis.
  • Welcome!

I'll get straight to the point.

When I started Pop!_Planet, I launched it because I saw a need for a centralized community for Pop!_OS. To be frank, I never expected the level of popularity it has achieved. Over the last year, we have gone from under 50 users, to almost 400 users. That's awesome! However... it also comes with a downside. We are rapidly running out of disk space on our server, and the bandwidth costs go up every month.

Pop!_Planet is not affiliated with System76 in any way, and is funded completely out of pocket. From day one, I said that I'd never use on-site ads (I hate them as much as you do), so the only monetization we get is through donations. Right now, the donations we receive don't even cover our overhead.

I know that most users will ignore this message, and that's ok. However, if even a few of our users are willing and able to donate a few dollars to help offset our expenses, it would be greatly appreciated.

Support Pop!_Planet

Thank you for your time,

Dan Griffiths
    Pop!_Planet Founder

Window positions when opening apps or coming back from blank screen

lordofduct

Feb 19, 2021
So I have this peculiar issue where:

1) When opening some apps (Nautilus/Files and Gedit the most common) they always open sized as big as the entire screen. If I shrink them and close them, they still reopen at full size.

2) I use a multi-monitor setup (3 monitors). When the screen goes black, and then I move my mouse to bring it back, many of my windows will have moved. Some move to another monitor, others just move to left side of the screen they are on, and others sometimes even move from the workspace they were on to the current workspace I'm in when I came out of the blacked out screen.

Note I'm using Radeon graphics right now, but I have also used an Nvidia card, and it happens on both. This is ran as a vm in unraid with the graphics card forwarded. Thusly it's the nvidia build since I can virutally change the graphics card easily.

The issue isn't breaking or anything... it's just slightly annoying which makes the over all experience slightly less preferrable.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
Are you using Pop-Shell? Is it enabled?

Just trying to determine where you should post your issue with included logs.

lordofduct

Feb 19, 2021
I don't know what Pop Shell is, but if I go into Gnome Extensions I do see that it is on:
1613764546047.png

Though I do NOT use the tiling windows.

I also have gnome tweaks installed for getting the min/max/close buttons in the upper right.

derpOmattic

Pop!_Muse
Trusted User
Founding Member
Nov 23, 2018
www.patreon.com
I'd try disabling anything that attempts to control the display area. Maybe try one at a time, or in succession. Start with Pop-shell, then Desktop icons, Dash to dock. You will have to restart shell each time you disable something. Restarting shell is done with alt + F2, then r and enter.
If this doesn't help, then I suggest you enable everything you want again, run a session while replicating the problem, then get the log with journalctl -b 0. This will include everything since current boot. Use a pastebin and just post the link, as opposed to spamming a site with thousands of lines. Check to see if the issue exists. If it doesn't you can create an issue. Follow the issue template. Give a good description and add your log link. I think this might be best placed in gnome-shell issues.

lordofduct

Feb 19, 2021
So just popping back in to say it stopped doing it.

The only thing I changed was to go to a nvidia gtx 960, and it doesn't happen anymore.

I don't know why this specific card isn't doing it; when the gtx 1060 I used before did do it.
🤷

• Thinking
Reactions: derpOmattic

Members online

No members online now.

Latest projects

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ducky